Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Mike Grier

Sent: 4/16/10
Received: 10/3/11
Time: 535 Days
Address: c/o Buffalo Sabres
Item Sent: 1997-98 Donruss Limited Fabric of the Game
Item Received: 1997-98 Donruss Limited Fabric of the Game, signed in black Sharpie.

Notes:
New record!  At 535 games, longtime NHL grinder Mike Grier has surpassed Larry Casian by 35 days to become my longest wait on a successful return.  This was sent during my first week of starting this hobby and blog, long before I had started focusing my hockey collection to specific sets.  That said, I think this turned out great!  I've always been a fan of Grier.  In 1996-97 he became the first U.S. born and U.S. trained African-American to appear in an NHL game.  He has spent 15 years (so far) in the NHL and played in his 1,000th career game while with the Buffalo Sabres last season.  He is currently a free agent.  Though he has not yet made an official retirement announcement, he has stated that he will likely retire if not re-signed by the Sabres.  So far that hasn't happened, and this request was postmarked from his native Massachusetts.

No comments:

Post a Comment