Monday, August 16, 2010

Stan Holmes


















Sent: 6/14/10
Received: 8/14/10
Time: 61 Days
Address: Home
Item Sent: 1983 Fritsch Visalia Oaks, 1986 ProCards Orlando Twins, 1988 CMC Edmonton Trappers
Item Received: 1983 Fritsch Visalia Oaks, 1986 ProCards Orlando Twins, 1988 CMC Edmonton Trappers.  All signed in thin blue Sharpie.

Notes:
It took a bit for a return from Mr. Holmes, but I am thrilled to add the signature of the biggest slugger on the 1983 Visalia Oaks to my team set.  No, not Kirby Puckett.  Stan Holmes hit .302 with 37 homers and 115 RBI, tallying a .983 OPS for the Oaks that season.  He followed that with a 25 homer season at AA Orlando in 1984, but started declining from there and was out of the Twins organization after 1986.  After struggling at the AAA level, he resurfaced with the Angels' AA Midland team in 1987 and hit .309 with 30 homers.  He was out of pro ball two years later.  All told, he slugged 143 home runs over nine minor league seasons, but never did get a chance to flex his muscle in the big leagues.

1 comment:

  1. I understand that you are very proud of you collection; however, I was wondering if you would be interested in selling these to me. This is my Uncle Stanley and he passed away Feb. 28 of this year. He raised me and I remember how thrilled he was when he received these requests for autographs. My Grandmother would be just as thrilled to have these in remembrance of him, she doesn't have any of his baseball cards. I'd be willing to pay whatever you want. Please let me know ASAP at sharla.dolen@yahoo.com

    Thanks,

    Sharla Dolen


    P.S. Here is an article on what took place.

    http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/2011/06/14/20110614asu-baseball-stan-holmes.html#comments

    ReplyDelete