Sunday, June 20, 2010

Tony Hrkac

















Sent: 6/14/10
Received: 6/19/10
Time: 5 Days
Address: Home
Item Sent: 1990-91 Pro Set, 1991-92 Pro Set Platinum, 1991-92 Upper Deck
Item Received: 1990-91 Pro Set, 1991-92 Pro Set Platinum, 1991-92 Upper Deck.  All signed in black Sharpie.

Notes:
My introduction to Tony Hrkac was his 1991-92 Upper Deck card.  With his Busey-esque face and almost-white hair, I had a hard time accepting that he was just 25 years old.  In reading the back of the card, I learned that he had won the Hobey Baker Award while in college at North Dakota, so I decided to keep my eye on him.  He was maddeningly inconsistent as a pro, but was a nice role player on the 1999 Stanley Cup winning Dallas Stars team.  Still, I had not thought about him in years until just a few months ago.  After a Minnesota Wild game on FSN, a tape-delayed Houston Aeros (the Wild's AHL affiliate) game was aired.  I kept hearing the name "Hrkac."  Curious as to if Tony had a son in the Wild system, I looked up the Aeros roster.  Unbelievably, it was a 43 year old Tony Hrkac, attempting a comeback seven years after his last NHL game.

No comments:

Post a Comment