Thursday, May 13, 2010

Bobby Shantz

Sent: 5/4/10
Received: 5/13/10
Time: 9 Days
Address: Home
Item Sent: 1988 Pacific Legends
Item Received: 1988 Pacific legends, signed in blue Sharpie.

Notes:
I don't mean to sound morbid, but I am starting to develop a bit of a "get 'em while you can" attitude for elderly players.  I saw some successes for former Twins lefty Jim Roland, so sent to him unaware of the fact that he had passed away a few weeks earlier.  I debated sending to the great Ernie Harwell last month, but saw some reports that his poor health was deteriorating even further, and decided to not bother him (he passed away last week).  I have seen no such reports on the 84 year old Bobby Shantz.  The 1952 AL MVP and eight-time Gold Glove winner is still a fast and generous signer, and I am proud to be able to add him to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment