Monday, May 24, 2010

Bill McCool

Sent: 5/11/10
Received: 5/24/10
Time: 13 Days
Address: Home
Item Sent: 1965 Topps
Item Received: 1965 Topps, signed in blue Sharpie.

Notes:
Once upon a time, during my youth, I stumbled across a box of newly arrived 1965 Topps singles in a card shop.  All were in pretty superb shape for their age.  I bought the few Twins in the box and, while I wanted to buy them all, insufficient funds were limiting me.  I splurged on a nice card of Cubs legend Billy Williams, and with the last of my cash picked up this card of Reds pitcher Bill McCool.  I knew nothing about him, but the card displayed the iconic "Topps All-Star Rookie" trophy.  Oh... and the guy's name was BILL McCOOL!  He had a look in his eye to match the name, and that was more than enough for me.  It had been sitting in a box in my collection ever since, until two weeks ago when I wrote to Mr. McCool asking for his signature.  He came through big time: beautiful signature and inscriptions of "Best Wishes" and "#42."  McCool, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment