Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Thane Gash

Sent: 1/20/12
Received: 1/30/12
Time: 10 Days
Address: Home
Item Sent: 1991 Score, 1991 Stadium Club, 1991 Topps, 1991 Upper Deck
Item Received: 1991 Score, 1991 Stadium Club, 1991 Topps.  All signed in black Sharpie.

Notes:
Stay with me here.  Do you watch American Pickers on the History Channel?  You know how they like to go on "freestyle" picks?  This is like my version of a freestyle autograph request.  I have two boxes full of cards that I have already picked out, with the intent of sending autograph requests.  When I'm writing letters, I usually take from those two boxes.  Every once in a while, though, I'll scan recent successful returns on SCN and something will catch my eye -- someone I hadn't considered sending to before, but upon seeing another collector's success I'll instantly search for a couple of cards and whip off a quick letter.

I had not thought of the name Thane Gash in years.  But as soon as I saw his name, I had to go for it.  He had such a great name.  Thane Gash.  Perfect name for a hard-hitting safety.  He didn't have a long career and was hardly a star.  Just a really cool football name, and sometimes something like that is enough to earn its way into my collection.  Thanks, Mr. Gash!

No comments:

Post a Comment