Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Chris Speier

Sent: 7/27/11
Received: 8/15/11
Time: 19 Days
Address: c/o Cincinnati Reds
Item Sent: 1985 Topps, 1987 Fleer, 1987 Fleer Update
Item Received: 1985 Topps, 1987 Fleer, 1987 Fleer Update.  All signed in blue Sharpie.

Notes:
Chris Speier was my introduction to the trading deadline.  As I've noted a few times on this blog and others, the 1984 season was a special one for me.  That was the first year I was really obsessive about the Twins and was also my first exposure to a pennant race.  When the Twins traded for Speier that August (and for Pat Putnam a few days later), it was exciting to me to witness this new phenomenon of adding players for a playoff push.  As it turns out, neither move paid dividends.  Speier hit .212, Putnam hit .079, neither homered, and they combined for five runs batted in.  For Speier, it was a most insignificant blip on his 19 year big league career.  While Putnam was completely done, Speier went on to have a few more successful years as a utilityman for the Cubs and Giants.

No comments:

Post a Comment