Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Steve Janaszak

Sent: 4/2/12
Received: 4/9/12
Time: 7 Days
Address: Home
Item Sent: Minnesota North Stars logo puck
Item Received: Minnesota North Stars logo puck, signed in silver Sharpie.

Notes:
My first attempt at sending a hockey puck through the mail is a resounding success!  At the first ever Minnesota North Stars Alumni Reunion in March, I started a brand new collection.  I had individual North Stars logo pucks signed by everybody in attendance.  My puck collection went from zero to 29 in one day. 

Steve Janaszak was one of the first ex-North Stars I wanted to try through the mail.  He is a reliable TTM signer, but I had never tried him before as he doesn't have any cards (or, to my knowledge, any photos) appearing in a Stars sweater.  After all, he only played one game in net for the North Stars.

Still, he's a Minnesota hockey legend.  He helped lead the Gophers to the 1979 NCAA Championship.  Following that, he earned a spot on the 1980 US Olympic Team.  As Jim Craig's backup, he was the only member of the Miracle On Ice team who didn't see ice time during the Olympics.  His entire NHL career consisted of three games: the one with the North Stars in 1980 and two with the Colorado Rockies in 1981-82.

He signed the puck in the silver Sharpie I provided, and was kind enough to return the Sharpie with the puck.  Hopefully most future TTM puck signers follow suit!

No comments:

Post a Comment