Saturday, April 28, 2012

Brian Dayett

Sent: 4/18/12
Received: 4/26/12
Time: 8 Days
Address: Home
Item Sent: 1985 Fleer, 1985 Fleer Update
Item Received: 1985 Fleer, 1985 Fleer Update.  Both signed and personalized in thin blue Sharpie.

Notes:
While beginning to send out requests for my new 1985 Fleer set project, I've started off by writing to a bunch of former Cubs.  I loved those mid to late '80s Cubs teams.  Don't get me wrong, the Twins were always number one in my heart, but I grew up on WGN afternoon broadcasts with Harry Caray and Steve Stone.  Harry had a way of turning Wrigley Field into the greatest place in the world, and the lovable cast on the field only helped.

Brian Dayett wasn't one of the Cubs stars.  He was a role player who had some impressive minor league seasons, but he never did win a regular big league role.  I do remember his first home run in a Cubs uniform, though.  It was a pinch hit grand slam, which to that point was one of the coolest things I had ever seen on a baseball diamond.

No comments:

Post a Comment