Monday, September 20, 2010

Jack McMahon

Sent: 7/28/10
Received: 9/17/10
Time: 51 Days
Address: Home
Item Sent: 1983 Fritsch Visalia Oaks
Item Received: 1983 Fritsch Visalia Oaks, signed in black ballpoint.

Notes:
This is great. Back in July, I mentioned that Bob DeCosta had told me my request inspired him to track down his old buddy Jack McMahon. He did, and forwarded Jack's address to me.

Along with the card, Mr. McMahon included a two-page hand-written letter. It started off, "Hi Dan, Thanks for the nice letter, and for helping my old roommate Bob DeCosta to get in touch with me. Bob and I only live 1 1/2 hours away from each other and plan to meet up soon." How cool is that?

He also writes about what a great guy Kirby Puckett was and mentions that Kirby used to call him "the greatest white basketball player" he ever played with. Also mentioned that his dad is Don McMahon, who played in the majors for 17 years and coached with the Twins in 1976, which I did not know.  I had heard the name Don McMahon before (he started off his career with back-to-back World Series appearances for the Milwaukee Braves and also pitched in the '68 Series for the Tigers), but didn't make the connection that they were related.

Anyway, awesome success here.  Thanks to both Jack McMahon and Bob DeCosta!

No comments:

Post a Comment