Tuesday, May 8, 2012

George Flower

Sent: 4/17/12
Received: 5/7/12
Time: 20 Days
Address: Home
Item Sent: 1986 ProCards West Palm Beach Expos
Item Received: 1986 ProCards West Palm Beach Expos, signed in black Sharpie.

Notes:
Former Expos prospect George Flower is my latest example of how fulfilling this hobby can be when writing to old minor league ballplayers.

A few days after receiving my letter, Mr. Flower sent me an e-mail answering a bunch of my questions and relaying some great stories (such as Andre Dawson and Tim Raines giving a young Randy Johnson $100 to let himself be attacked by fire ants.  I had asked George if he had any idea back in A-ball that Johnson would become one of the great pitchers in baseball history.  He responded, "Most of us never thought he would make it.  For 2 years, I watched him walk 9 and strike the next 9 guys out." 

He also mentioned playing for Felipe Alou and with Larry Walker.  (Of Walker: "I realized I wasn't going to the show when I hit behind him in BP.") Shortly after the e-mail exchange, George Flower's 1986 ProCards card showed up in my mailbox, beautifully signed in black Sharpie.

No comments:

Post a Comment