Thursday, November 3, 2011

Shane Nelson

Sent: 9/27/11
Received: 11/3/11
Time: 37 Days
Address: Home
Item Sent: 1982 Fleer Team Action, 1982 Topps
Item Received: 1982 Fleer Team Action, 1982 Topps.  Both signed in black gel pen.  Two 8x10 photos,  both signed in black Sharpie.

Notes:
Getting a package like this in the mail is the most rewarding part of this silly hobby.  Shane Nelson was an undrafted free agent who eventually became a starting inside linebacker for the Bills.  He teamed with fellow linebacker Jim Haslett and nose tackle Fred Smerlas to form the "Bermuda Triangle" - the famed Bills defense that was the top-ranked unit in the league in 1980. 



Mr. Nelson signed both of the cards I sent him, and added two autographed 8x10 photos -- one of him tackling Walter Payton and one of him sacking Bert Jones.  It wasn't just the awesome extras that made this such a special return, though.  It was the thought that went into packaging the whole return for me.  He wrote a brief but awesome thank you note on my original letter.  He sent everything back in a manila envelope with cardboard reinforcement (and paid for the postage).  He inserted my cards in a top-loader for extra protection.  And he returned my unused SASE, saving me a stamp on my next autograph request.


That's class.

No comments:

Post a Comment